<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://lexandliv.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
ltr"> Lex and Liv - Design for Kids: Miss O's Starry Sanctuary (Room Reveal)

04 December 2013

Miss O's Starry Sanctuary (Room Reveal)

Name: Olivia
Age: 5 months
Location: Rochester, NY
Room size: 98 SF

This starry little space is inhabited by my 5 month old daughter, Olivia. It began as her brother's room, which already had a gender neutral color palette of dark wood furniture and grey walls but since we knew we were having a girl this time around, I decided to add some more feminine touches. I had been searching for ideas for safe crib wall decor, when I stumbled upon the "Seeing Stars" wall decals, by Urban Walls. 




The nursery never really felt complete until I quite accidentally came up with the idea to create little constellations, rather than imitate the Osborne and Little Coronata Star wallpaper I'd so long admired. What I love most about vinyl wall decals is that they are completely removable, negating the expense and commitment of wallpaper. I had so much fun with the decals, which were still a fair amount of work to apply, but had to stop myself when I ran out of wall space and began decaling the furniture.





The room is on the small side (10' x 10') and fairly awkwardly shaped. Thanks to an angled wall with a door, two of the walls are only about 7' long, so there were limited layout options. When I decorated the nursery for my son 4 years ago, I opted for the narrowest stylish glider that was available at the time, the Monte Luca. I still love its tailored lines and small footprint, though I do wish it was a little more ergonomically designed.






(I still have to add a couple of items on backorder and make the felt cloud mobile and pom pom name garland. I will add the images to this post after it's complete.)





Favourite element: Can't decide between the adorable Helen Dardik prints and the silver Seeing Stars decals. 

Design Regret: The crib. Fabulous quality and non-toxic finish but the style just isn't me. When we began this process 4 years ago, I really wasn't aware of how many beautiful cribs were available for purchase online. We didn't have a good baby furniture showroom near us, so I went with the best locally available option. If I could do it all over again, I would definitely get the Dwellstudio Mid-century crib. It is absolutely beautiful.

Biggest Splurge: I'm not going to pretend this was a low budget nursery but the first thing that comes to mind is the Ferm Living Happy Harlequin Blanket (not pictured). It was pricey and very fragile in the wash but the bright colours are so cheerful, they make me happy too. It's not a blanket you use to wipe baby spit-up (sadly, the reason it's not pictured) but it's a lovely accessory.

Best buy: For sure, the Captain's mirror, from Target. I'd been admiring other similar mirrors from Serena & Lily and Land of Nod when I found this one for $30. It's not the wonderful quality you would likely get at one of the other stores but it's also 1/5 the price. 

Best Advice: Don't be afraid to make a mistake. I was so conservative when designing my son's room. It was boring! Take a risk. 
Shop on Etsy for artwork- there are so many talented artists out there. 
Don't overpay for frames- check out Pottery Barn and West Elm's wood gallery frames. 
Consider having neutral base decor with bold accessories. You can always change out artwork and linens to freshen up the style but repainting and refurnishing is a hassle.
If you're purchasing a dresser or baby station, consider getting one with drawers, rather than cabinets. They are a far better storage solution. The only part of our baby dresser we actually use is the small portion with the drawers. We don't even change Olivia on it, as I prefer to use the changing pad on the floor.
Have at least one DIY in your child's room- I'm still working on that cloud mobile!
Design your room in stages. Narrow down the large pieces first and then start to add decor as you get to know the room and the little one who occupies it. I still don't feel that the room is finished, as I have a few DIY touches that I have yet to complete.





Resource List

Crib: Romina Karisma in Espresso
Dresser: Romina Karisma Baby Station in Espresso
Glider: Monte Luca in Charcoal with Stone Piping
Numbers Pouf: Land of Nod, in Natural
Paint Colour: Sherwin Williams Repose Gray
Wall Decals: "Seeing Stars," by Urban Walls, in silver
Book Racks: Spice Racks from Target
Aqua Basket: Land of Nod 
Wooden Side Table: Target
Floor Lamp and Table Lamp: Target
Artwork: Helen Dardik, on Etsy
Picture Frames: Theshold Gallery Frame in 8 x 10, from Target
Crib Sheet: Rabbit Patch, by Little Auggie
Crib Skirt: Painted Strip Fern, by Little Auggie
Crib Blanket: Happy Harlequin, by Ferm Living 
Changing Pad Cover: Aden and Anais Giraffe Muslin Cover
Cloud Pillow: Land of Nod 
Mushroom Pillow: Land of Nod
Heart Pillow: Land of Nod
Wall Clock: by Uncommon, on Etsy, in Grassy Green
Organic Star Print Blanket, in Grey: Baby Gap
Birdhouses: Purchased from JoAnn Fabrics and painted myself

Images by Katerina Buscemi

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At December 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Melissa (Lovelikejohnnyandjune.com) said...

Hi :)

I found your blog through your comment on my son's nursery post on apartment therapy.

First of all, your nursery is gorgeous. I love that cloud pillow!

Second of all, I only found the need to respond because I appreciated your comment and the fact that you were polite and kind in voicing your opinion. Some people can be so mean about their opinions, as seen in the comments. Anyway, I thought I'd let you know that over Thanksgiving my husband and my father swapped the crib and the dresser because we were also concerned. He's only 5 weeks old so he's still in our room for now. I'm not sure why I even did it that way in the first place, but since having him it hit me and I was like we can't have the crib there!!

Again, thank you for your gentle way! :)

xx

 
At December 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Katerina said...

Hi Melissa,
I've just email you :-)
Thank you for your sweet comments about the nursery. The AT crowd can be tough!

 
At December 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Katerina said...

P.S. I'm sure I will have to move my frames from the vicinity of the crib should I be reprimanded. She's only 6 months old, so she won't be pulling them off any time soon.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, which will be visible after approval.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home